CHILDREN’S SHOCK: SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS, HOME CARE AND TREATMENT

Signs and symptoms
Signs of shock include weakness; feeling faint; rapid, weak pulse; paleness; cold, clammy skin; cold sweat; chills; dry mouth; nausea; rapid, shallow breathing; restlessness; and confusion. If these symptoms are not treated, the victim may lose consciousness.

Home care
Shock is a medical emergency requiring immediate professional attention. After giving immediate life-saving first aid - for example, taking steps to stop bleeding and making sure the child's airway is open - you must call for professional help at once. Keep the child lying flat, with the head lower than the body (unless the head has been injured). If there is a head injury, have the child lie flat without elevating the feet. Keep the child warm. Do not give food or water.

Precaution
Shock is a very dangerous condition which is usually fatal if not treated immediately by professionals. If you suspect that the child is in shock, call at once for emergency help.

Medical treatment
Emergency medical treatment for shock will probably include administration of fluids or blood into a vein. The victim will be hospitalized.

*185/84/5*

 

 

 
 

Towns County Chamber of Commerce - Fuller Circle - Young Harris, GA - 800-3